Climate change pervades, and is leaving its mark on, nearly every aspect of life: the ecosystems that support and sustain us; the food we eat and the availability of our water; our financial and energy systems; and the health of human beings and wildlife. Climate change knows no boundaries.
The UN Foundation focuses on catalyzing change by focusing on the intersections between climate change and targeted critical issues and sectors to broaden the community of stakeholders and provide the tools, understanding, and motivation to address the climate crisis and navigate its impacts.
Our work includes:
- Accelerating climate adaptation and resilience, including through the UNFCCC and the UN Secretary-General’s Early Warnings for All initiative, which aims to provide the whole world with early warning system coverage by 2027.
- Building bridges at the intersection of climate and ocean issues – including shipping decarbonization – through advocacy, communications, and issue expertise around negotiations at the International Maritime Organization and major global events.
- Elevating the importance of climate resilience and solutions in the agriculture and food sector, including for smallholder farmers in the developing world to shift food systems toward more climate-friendly practices.
- Supporting ambitious climate and environmental outcomes in critical UN fora such as in the Convention on Biological Diversity.
- Driving sub-national leadership in the United States through the U.S. Climate Alliance, a bipartisan coalition of 26 governors who are committed to fulfilling the goals of the Paris Agreement. The Alliance is housed at the UN Foundation.
- Mobilizing new constituencies for change through partnerships, major events, and elevating youth voices and other vital drivers of action.