This #GivingTuesday, December 2, the United Nations Foundation is encouraging its champions and partners to support the United Nations’ work in building a healthier and more prosperous world.
As a founding partner of #GivingTuesday, the UN Foundation has helped grow the annual giving movement that follows the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday. #GivingTuesday kicks off the holiday giving season as a global day dedicated to charitable giving, harnessing the power of social media and the generosity of people around the world to bring about real change in their communities.
“#GivingTuesday’s great strength is that it combines innovative ways of giving back with a focus on our communities and the causes we care about most,” said Kathy Calvin, President and CEO of the UN Foundation. “Through our #GivingTuesday initiatives this year, the UN Foundation is connecting people with the UN’s work to make a real, positive impact in the lives of people around the world.”
The UN Foundation 2014 #GivingTuesday initiatives and partnerships will support the UN and partners’ work in global health, girls’ empowerment, and more. Our #GivingTuesday activities include:
- Families Giving Globally: Help families and children around the world. The UN Foundation is leveraging the Giving Tower – a partnership with Crowdrise – for an initiative that will encourage families to help other families. Through Families Giving Globally, families can donate to three UN Foundation campaigns that work with UN partners to help families and children around the world. https://www.crowdrise.com/UNFoundation-Tower
- Girl Up: Help girls in Malawi go to school and have a brighter future. Girl Up is launching SchoolCycle, a month-long campaign (Dec. 2-31) to provide 550 bicycles to adolescent girls in Malawi so they can get to school safely. A donation of $125 provides a bike, spare parts, maintenance training, and a chance for a brighter future to one girl. Learn more at GirlUp.org/SchoolCycle.
- Nothing But Nets : Give a holiday gift that gives back. On #GivingTuesday, Nothing But Nets is rallying supporters to Gift a Net in honor of family, friends, and loved ones this holiday season to send 5,000 bednets to families in Africa. It costs $10 to provide a life-saving net to a protect family from malaria – so that they can celebrate many more holidays together too. Learn more at www.NothingButNets.net/GiftANet.
- Shot@Life: Help protect a child from pneumonia and give them a shot at a healthy life. Every gift to Shot@Life on #GivingTuesday will unlock a matching gift from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, up to $200,000. All funds raised on #GivingTuesday will go toward protecting children around the world from pneumonia, one of the leading causes of death in children worldwide.
- Trade digital currency and make a difference. On #GivingTuesday, join online site Hub Culture – a collaborative social network powered by a digital currency, Ven. Throughout the day, any Ven that is traded or bought will support the UN Foundation though a portion of its trading margins.
The giving spirit of the UN Foundation stems from its founder and chairman Ted Turner, whose bold $1 billion dollar gift to support UN causes continues to allow the organization to impact the lives of millions of people worldwide through various philanthropic campaigns.
About The United Nations Foundation
The United Nations Foundation builds public-private partnerships to address the world’s most pressing problems, and broadens support for the United Nations through advocacy and public outreach. Through innovative campaigns and initiatives, the Foundation connects people, ideas, and resources to help the UN solve global problems. The Foundation was created in 1998 as a U.S. public charity by entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner and now is supported by global corporations, foundations, governments, and individuals. For more information, visit www.unfoundation.org .