As millions prepare for Thanksgiving, the #GivingTuesday movement continues to grow, and momentum builds for this kickoff to the holiday giving season. Following the holiday shopping days Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday will mark the start of the giving season on Tuesday, December 2. This global day dedicated to charitable giving leverages social media, creativity, the power of more than 18,000 dedicated partners in the United States and thousands more in other participating countries and regions, and the generosity of people around the world to bring about real change in their communities and beyond.
For #GivingTuesday 2014 more partners than ever are planning to activate their communities to support giving at events across the country. The number of partners has more than doubled from 2013, all with the shared goal of inspiring people to contribute to, and volunteer for, good causes. The following are some examples of how organizations are bringing communities together to get out the give:
- The Avon Foundation for Women, the world’s largest corporate-affiliated philanthropy focused on issues that matter most to women, has joined the #GivingTuesday movement and will raise $1 million to benefit domestic violence organizations this holiday season in partnership with the National Domestic Violence Hotline. Donate to The National Domestic Violence Hotline and the Avon Foundation will match every donation made, up to $500,000.
- Backplane provides a home for the things that connect us. On #GivingTuesday Backplane invites anyone, anywhere to use its platform free of charge to unite people around the causes that connect us. Backplane partners including Lady Gaga, Bob Weir/TRI Studios, DJ Skee, Bioneers and the Jazz Foundation of America will use Backplane’s web and mobile tools to empower their fans this December 2 to raise awareness and funds for the charities they support. To create your own movement, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. See littlemonsters.com, tristudios.thebackplane.com , Skee.co, bioneers.thebackplane.com andjazzfoundation.thebackplane.com.
- Cheezburger , one of the largest social humor sites on the Internet, where millions of people come every day to laugh out loud, is excited to participate and support #GivingTuesday. Cheezburger looks forward to activating its audience across its network of sites, social media platforms and company blog in order to encourage members of the Cheezburger community to take part in this great day of giving back in their own special and very humorous ways.
- This year for #GivingTuesday Chris4Life Colon Cancer Foundation has a goal of raising $10,000 and they hope to get there through a $10 for $10 dollar matching gift. Funds raised will go to Chris4Life’s patient, survivor and caregiver support programs in order to help crush colorectal cancer. #givingtuesdayC4L
- Dell , New York media, UN Foundation, and Rapid7 will host a #GivingTuesday happy hour and #UNSelfie station to drive awareness of the day and generate support for UNICEF, Boys and Girls Club, Girl Scouts and the Ronald McDonald House.
- Evereve , the national women’s fashion retailer, is partnering with the global microfinance organization Opportunity Internationalto launch the “Giving Is Hot” initiative. Starting on #GivingTuesday and extending through December, $10 from every pair of jeans sold in stores or online will go toward a loan for a female entrepreneur overseas to start her own business, provide for her family and transform her community. Donations will be matched by two other female-led organizations, the fashion retailer CAbi and the Minneapolis-based marketing agency Latitude.
- Launching on #GivingTuesday, December 2, join Family Dinner Project to kick off #familydinnerforward, an initiative (and fun contest!) to inspire families to give – within the family to one another and/or to those outside the family. To participate, simply snap a dinner/giving-related photo and share it via Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #familydinnerforward. All photos tagged on Twitter or Instagram with #familydinnerforward between December 2-16 will be entered to win Lenox prizes. Two winners will be drawn at random and will receive four 4-piece plate settings of the Lenox Entertain 365 pattern of their choice (estimated value of $344-400 depending on pattern chosen)
- Fran Drescher’s Cancer Schmancer Movement is taking advantage of #GivingTuesday to help kids reduce their risk of cancer and other chronic diseases. The nonprofit is developing an in-school program called “Detox Your Home” that educates children on how to identify and avoid potential toxins IN, ON, and AROUND them. Fran is putting her money where her famous voice is and matching donations up to $25,000.
- To recognize #GivingTuesday, Global Citizen, the nonprofit organization building the movement to end extreme poverty by 2030, will host a #GivingTuesday shopping event at Creeds Collective, a socially responsible holiday pop-up shop in New York’s Soho neighborhood (54 Crosby Street). The event will feature exclusive Global Citizen merchandise and the IMPACK, the Global Citizen “action pack” full of socially conscious items for activists to show their support and start taking action to end extreme poverty. Ten percent of all net proceeds from the store will go to support the Global Citizen movement. More than 45 brands are also available at Creeds Collective ranging from contemporary apparel and accessories to grooming products, footwear, and home design items. Some of the boutique’s anchor brands include: THANN Natural Skin and Hair Care, Primp & Polish, White Faux Taxidermy, Lionette NY by Noa Shaw, Angela and Roi, Lauren Cecchi, and Dharma Eyewear.Join the celebration with Global Citizen on Tues., Dec. 2 from 6-9 p.m. at Creeds Collective, 54 Crosby Street. RSVP here.
- JCPenney is celebrating #GivingTuesday by helping military families and children in the U.S. through the USO (United States Organizations) and Boys & Girls Clubs of America. JCPenney will invite children from local Boys & Girls Clubs of America from across the country to visit a JCPenney store and take part in a special shopping experience that enables kids to select gifts for their families while being treated to a photo opportunity with a local hometown celebrity. JCPenney will also be making a $50,000 donation to Boys & Girls Clubs of America and a $50,000 donation to the USO. Recognizing the many sacrifices they make, JCPenney is focusing its philanthropic efforts on helping military families. In December, the retailer will invite its customers to round up their purchase in store or online to the nearest dollar and donate the difference to JCPenney Cares. Customer contributions donated will directly fund programs that support military families through the USO and Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s affiliated Youth Centers on U.S. military installations worldwide. Additionally, JCPenney is encouraging followers to share holiday giving occasions on social media using #JustGotJingled. Participating JCPenney stores are in Kansas City, Seattle, Atlanta, New York City, Dallas San Diego, and Los Angeles.
- This #GivingTuesday, JOHNSON’S® is making a new commitment to the happy, healthy development of babies with the launch of More Hands, More Hearts™. Working in partnership with Academy and Grammy-Award Winning artist, author, philanthropist, and mom Jennifer Hudson and Save the Children®, JOHNSON’S® is donating essential resources, including JOHNSON’S® baby care kits and a special grant, to help moms ensure their babies thrive. People everywhere can participate by creating baby care kits for a family in need and sharing how they are giving back on social media using #MoreHandsMoreHearts to inspire others.
- This year marks the first time Keek will participate in #GivingTuesday, encouraging its 71 million members to post #UNSelfie Keek videos highlighting an act of kindness. Keek, a mobile video social network, will feature and highlight user stories in 190 countries to encourage participation and excitement about the #GivingTuesday efforts.
- Khan Academy is a non-profit with a mission of providing a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere. The Academy reaches over 12 million students every month, and provide thousands of free lessons (practice exercises, instructional videos, and written articles) from basic Math to college level Biology and Art History, together with enabling tools for students and teachers. Khan Academy will leverage #GivingTuesday as the launch date of their end-of-year fundraising campaign. They aim to raise the crucial support they need to continue providing educational resources for free, for everyone, forever.
- This year, Mi Escuelita will host its annual Adopt-An-Angel-Day on Tuesday, December 2 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. On this day, employees from Dieste, a Hispanic marketing agency and long-time supporter of Mi Escuelita, will bring gifts to pre-school students and celebrate the season of giving. Many of the students of Mi Escuelita come from low-income families who often cannot provide the students with gifts for the holidays. In the spirit of giving back, Mi Escuelita students will create handmade cards for the children at Children’s Medical Center of Dallas.
- Millennial Action Project , an organization dedicated to renewing American democracy through next generation leadership, and Nexus, a global movement of young people working to increase and improve philanthropy and impact investing by bridging communities of wealth and social entrepreneurship, will come together on #GivingTuesday for a groundbreaking summit on Capitol Hill. This summit on next generation leadership and philanthropy will convene millennial influencers, leading policymakers, rising political stars, philanthropists, entrepreneurs, impact investors, and more. Attendees are committing to 100 acts of abolition in order to make the world a better place. Nexus and partners will also release the Rules to Give By Index, a global report on tax incentives and infrastructure for giving in all 193 UN member states.
- NYC Dads Group , a community of over 1,100 Dads in the New York City area, will be supporting Baby Buggy, an organization that provides essential gear and services to families in need across the country. Members of NYC Dads Group will complete a volunteer project which will entail sorting, screening and bundling clothing to be donated to children served by Baby Buggy.
- On Tuesday, December 2, Physicians for Peace , a Norfolk, VA-based international nonprofit organization, will host the first annual #HRGivingTuesday gathering accompanied by neighboring Hampton Roads (HR) non-profit organizations to highlight Norfolk Mayor Paul Fraim’s proclamation of #GivingTuesday and the importance of giving back. This gathering is to remind holiday shoppers of the Norfolk area’s rich tradition of service and an alternative gift opportunity – supporting area nonprofits.
- Rachael Ray will dedicate the entire December 2 episode of the Rachael Ray Show to #GivingTuesday.
- SPARK Experience is giving back by launching a #GivingTuesday web app that makes it easy for users to tell the social media universe how they are making a difference. Users can share their spirit of generosity with a customized graphic that tells their giving stories.
- With Super Bowl 50, not all records will be set on the field. It is the goal of the Super Bowl 50 Host Committee to make the Bay Area’s Super Bowl the most generous ever, and ensure its impact lives on long after the last whistle is blown. Twenty-five percent of all monies raised will go to support Bay Area nonprofits and local initiatives through its nonprofit arm, 50 Fund. To learn more, visitwww.50fund.org.
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) will partner with #GivingTuesday to help support the global day of giving back. UNDP will plan events in countries around the world as well as launch a mobile fundraising campaign, and a first-ever global digital art show and auction. All efforts support UNDP’s essential work fighting the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, by raising funds and awareness for the heroic efforts ongoing in the affected countries. For more information visit http://undp.org/ebola.
- Usher Raymond IV (www.ushersnewlook.org) For #GivingTuesday, Usher’s New Look Charity is raising funds to support its youth leadership programs, which are at the forefront of the education crisis, helping youth in underserved communities make educational and career choices that match their passions. UNL’s peer-to-peer training model focuses on providing Access, Awareness and Empowerment to develop well-rounded, global-thinking servant leaders. Today, UNL has served more than 21,000 young people across the U.S. and internationally.
- Wilhelmina Models is setting up #UNselfie photo shoots at its New York, Los Angeles and Miami offices on #GivingTuesday to raise awareness about giving and philanthropy.
- Yoobi is a dynamic new school supply company that uses fun designs to engage kids in the classroom, while also giving back. For every item purchased on Yoobi.com during the holiday season, Yoobi donates an item to the Starlight Children’s Foundation and children’s hospitals nationwide. During #GivingTuesday, Yoobi will donate double the school supplies to Starlight, ensuring kids in classrooms – whether in a regular school or a hospital setting – have access to the fundamental tools they need to succeed. Learn more about the partnership at http://yoobi.com/starlight
Cities and Civic Groups Strengthen #GivingTuesday Local Activations
#GivingTuesday is also taking on a new life in over 38 neighborhoods, cities and states around the country. Some of the latest municipalities and civic groups to declare their support include:
- #GivingTuesday Coalition in Anchorage, Alaska: Seven nonprofits – Friends of the Anchorage Public Library, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the Stone Soup Group, Alaska Legal Services Corporation, United Way of Alaska and the Alaska Community Foundation – have been working together for several months to introduce Anchorage residents to the concept of #GivingTuesday and the meaning of #UNselfies. On Wednesday, November 19, Anchorage Mayor Dan Sullivan gave the education campaign a push by signing a #GivingTuesday proclamation during a press conference with four of the nonprofits represented.
- #GivingTuesday Bellflower is uniting nonprofit organizations, residents, and businesses in the city of Bellflower, CA and surrounding communities in a campaign to spread the love on #GivingTuesday. The community is joining hands in a city-wide #GivingTuesday donation drive which culminates with equal distribution to all participating local charities.
- Boothbay, Maine: The small peninsula of Boothbay, Maine has collectively organized 26 local nonprofit organizations to collaborate for #GivingTuesday under the umbrella of #BoothbayTreasures, named for both the way the community treasures the nonprofit presence in their area and for how nonprofits treasure the local support they receive from donors and volunteers. Boothbay Treasures has received town proclamations from all four participating communities declaring December 2 #GivingTuesday, and caught state attention in the form of a letter of support from Maine Governor Paul LePage. The community will celebrate with a Community Supper at the local elementary school on December 2, showcasing healthy school lunches and providing a forum for a nonprofit fair. All donations from the dinner will be split among the school and the nonprofits in attendance. For more information, visit “Boothbay Treasures” on Facebook.
- #GivingTuesdayChester : With 75 nonprofits joining together, #GivingTuesdayChester is following in the footsteps of other county-wide initiatives to harness the power of the communities it serves for the benefit of Chester County, PA’s nonprofit sector. For this inaugural year, #GivingTuesdayChester hopes to raise $15,000.
- #GivingTuesdayCFL : In Central Florida, the Rollins College Philanthropy & Nonprofit Leadership Center is leading efforts to raise awareness for #GivingTuesday and encourage nonprofit organizations to join the movement. #GivingTuesdayCFL is gaining momentum and numerous organizations have already signed up to participate in this year’s event.
- DC Gives More is a District-wide campaign committed to rallying that spirit of giving in Washington, DC and bringing the community together by supporting local nonprofits with its resources and time.
- #GivingTuesdayHelena: This year, Helena, Montana nonprofits are banding together to provide additional encouragement to Helena’s already strong giving spirit. Recently, Major Jim Smith officially proclaimed December 2, 2014 to be #GivingTuesday in the city of Helena, as a result of encouragement from 45 Helena area nonprofits that are joining forces to urge community members to participate in #GivingTuesdayHelena, a local offshoot of the national #GivingTuesday program.
- #ILGiveBig: Donors Forum has created #ILGiveBig, their movement for #GivingTuesday in Illinois. Foundations, businesses, government, media, and over 500 participating organizations have joined together to help raise $12 million from 100,000 Illinois residents. Follow the tag #ILGiveBig on Twitter to see the activity across the state.
- #LansingLoves #GivingTuesday : Nonprofits and the wider community in Lansing have joined together in an effort to make Lansing one of the most generous cities in Michigan. The goal is to bring together nonprofits and businesses alike to engage new donors and help spread the word about all the good that’s being done in the Lansing community on #GivingTuesday. #LansingLoves #GivingTuesday will raise money and awareness for the local community and showcase that #LansingLoves to be the city that shops local, buys local and gives local.
- #MDGivesMore (@MDGivesMore) : Maryland is poised to make history by becoming the most generous state in the country this #GivingTuesday. Individuals, families, for-profits, foundations, and nonprofits are all working together to show their support for their favorite causes and their state pride.
- #GivingTuesadayMontco from Pennsylvania, has reached 96 organizations on www.givingtuesdaymontco.org in its inaugural year, reflecting a balance of health and human services and arts, cultural and environmental organizations uniting to raise awareness of #GivingTuesday and engage members of the community in supporting the causes they care about most.
- #GivingTuesdayNEPA is a collective of diverse nonprofits in Lackawanna County, PA working together to raise funds and awareness. This group was formed by the Scranton Area Foundation, which is also donating $500 in matching funds to each participating nonprofit for the money they raise on December 2.
For a complete list of #GivingTuesday partners, please visit www.givingtuesday.org.
# # #
#GivingTuesday, December 2, 2014, follows the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, kicking off the holiday giving season with a global day dedicated to charitable giving. It combines the power of social media and the generosity of people around the world to bring about real change in their communities. Now in its third year, #GivingTuesday is a worldwide movement that celebrates the power of giving in all its forms. This effort builds on the collective power of a unique blend of partners—charities, families, businesses and individuals—to transform how people think about, talk about and participate in the giving season. #GivingTuesday inspires people to take collaborative action to improve their local communities, give back in better, smarter ways to the charities and causes they celebrate and help create a better world. #GivingTuesday leverages the power of social media to create a global moment that is dedicated to giving around the world. #GivingTuesday was founded by 92nd Street Y and is spearheaded in tandem with the support of the United Nations Foundation.
A team of recognized experts, influencers, and founding partners originally led this effort. The many founding partners include Blackbaud, CECP, charity: water, GlobalGiving, Groupon, Kiva, Microsoft, Pvblic Foundation, (RED), Unilever, United Nations Development Programme and Univision.