On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 11:00 a.m. EST United Nations Foundation CEO Kathy Calvin will co-host a press teleconference with leading humanitarian and development experts to update media on the ongoing rebuilding efforts and current needs in Haiti three years after the devastating earthquake, which took the lives of more than 300,000 people. The UN and the U.S. continue to work together with partners to support the Haitian government’s efforts to rebuild.
- Kathy Calvin, CEO, UN Foundation (host)
- Andre-Michel Essoungou, Public Affairs Officer, UN Department for Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO)
- Jessica Faieta, Deputy Assistant Administrator and Deputy Director, at the Regional Bureau for Latin America and the Caribbean, UN Development Programme (UNDP)
- Dr. Jean Luc Poncelet, Area Manager for Emergency Relief and Disaster Preparedness, Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
- Eileen Wickstrom Smith, Deputy Coordinator for Assistance in the Office of the Haiti Special Coordinator, U.S. Department of State
- Aaron Sherinian, VP of Communications and Public Relations (moderator)
When: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 11:00 a.m. EST
How: Dial 1-800-351-4872 (U.S.), 08000-288223 (UK), 1-888-259-2914 (Canada), 1-334-323-7224 (International). Passcode: HAITI.
Please RSVP to Darley Tom at firstname.lastname@example.org. An audio recording of the discussion and photos will be available upon request.
About the United Nations Foundation
The United Nations Foundation, a public charity was created in 1998 with entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner’s historic $1 billion gift to support UN causes and activities. We build and implement public/private partnerships to address the world’s most pressing problems, and work to broaden support for the UN through advocacy and public outreach. Through our campaigns and partnerships, we connect people, ideas, and resources to help the UN solve global problems. The campaigns we conduct reduce child mortality, empower women and girls, create a new energy future, secure peace and human rights, and promote technology innovation to improve health outcomes. These solutions are helping the UN advance the eight global targets known as the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). For more information, visit www.unfoundation.org.
The UN Foundation continues to support the United Nations in its efforts to help Haiti. So far, supporters of the UN Foundation have helped to raise nearly $4 million to help the UN secure and deliver food, provide jobs, repair streets, keep diseases in check, keep women safe from sexual assault and violence, and ensure women have healthy pregnancies and babies. For more details, please visit www.unfoundation.org/haiti.