Discussion during the closing plenary session of the Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) yesterday highlighted the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and the momentum generated since Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton announced its formation at the same forum one year ago.
Remarking on the public-private partnerships that are central to the Alliance’s work, former President Bill Clinton said, “I’m very grateful for all of those who participated in this clean cookstoves announcement, because all along the premise of CGI has been that the private sector, NGOs, the philanthropists and grassroots organizations should be working with government to try to reinforce the strengths of all.”
“I’m a chef, and as chefs, we feed the few. But we are ready and know how to feed the many, and clean cookstoves are at the heart of this endeavor,” said Chef José Andrés, the Alliance’s Culinary Ambassador as he delivered the one-year update. “Sometimes with good will, unfortunately, money is just thrown at problems. Thanks to this Alliance, you are going to see that money is being invested in solutions, which will help us reach our 100 by 20 goal.” The Alliance’s ‘100 by ‘20’ goal calls for 100 million households to adopt clean and efficient cookstoves and fuels by 2020.
Joining Chef Andrés on stage were President Clinton; Secretary Clinton; Chelsea Clinton; Radha Muthiah, Alliance Executive Director; Mary Lou Benecke, Dow Corning Vice President for Public Affairs and Corporate Communications; Reema Nanavaty, Self Employed Women’s Association Director; and Kris M. Balderston, State Department Special Representative for Global Partnerships.
Since last September the Alliance has organized what had been a disparate sector of practitioners, international organizations and development agencies, and raised public awareness like never before
of the human toll that toxic cooking fumes take – a staggering two million deaths annually.
A few of the most important accomplishments include:
- Raising $78 million, most recently $5 million in unrestricted funds from Dow Corning and potentially up to $50 million over the next three years from the Overseas Private Investment Corporation.
- Exponential partnership growth, from 20 to 175, including 21 countries across five continents.
- Ground-breaking coordination and working groups focused on health, humanitarian, gender, finance and investment, monitoring and evaluation, manufacturing, technology and fuels, standards and testing, reaching consumers, carbon finance and climate impacts.
- Academy Award-winning actor Julia Roberts and noted chef and restaurateur José Andrés joining the Alliance to serve as Ambassadors and raise crucial public awareness.
- Conducting a detailed study with the American National Standards Institute to assess global stove standards and provide recommendations for the development of an international consensus standard for clean cookstoves.
“The Alliance has come so far in just a year, and we can be proud of these many accomplishments,” said Radha Muthiah, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves Executive Director. “As we build a cookstoves market to the scale necessary to combat and defeat this silent killer, the strong support and unique expertise of our partners and champions will be invaluable. We are well on our way toward our ambitious but achievable goals, and I’m confident that next year we’ll have even more exciting news to report.”
About the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves:
The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves is an innovative public-private partnership led by the United Nations Foundation to save lives, improve livelihoods, empower women and combat climate change by creating a thriving global market for clean and efficient household cooking solutions. The Alliance’s ‘100 by ‘20’ goal calls for 100 million households to adopt clean and efficient cookstoves and fuels by 2020. The Alliance is working with its public, private and non-profit partners to help overcome the market barriers that currently impede the production, deployment and use of clean cookstoves in developing countries. Visit www.cleancookstoves.org for more information.
Sean Bartlett | 202.419.6401 | email@example.com