MARK MALLOCH-BROWN APPOINTED CO-CHAIR OF THE UN FOUNDATION BOARD
Former senior UN official brings deep multisector experience at critical time for global peace and progress
January 17, 2020
The United Nations Foundation today announced the appointment of Lord Mark Malloch-Brown as Co-Chair of its Board of Directors. With a uniquely distinguished career in diplomacy, the private and public sectors, including as UN Deputy Secretary General, Lord Malloch-Brown will bring unparalleled breadth and depth of expertise to help guide the Foundation in its work as a strategic partner to the UN in the critical years ahead.
“Mark is a leader with rare political acumen and influence,” said UN Foundation founder and chair Ted Turner. “He brings skills across sectors, and I am delighted to have him at my side on the Board of the UN Foundation.”
“I am delighted to take on a greater role in guiding the work of this renowned and effective organization,” said Lord Malloch-Brown, who joined the UN Foundation Board in March 2019. “The shared nature of global challenges today means the UN is more important now than ever before and having the Foundation as its go-to partner is essential.”
“Having Mark take a guiding role on our already powerhouse Board will be hugely valuable to the Foundation and to me personally,” said Ambassador Elizabeth Cousens, who took over as President and CEO of the UN Foundation in January 2020. “We have so much to do in the coming years to avert catastrophic climate change, deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals, and restore trust in multilateral cooperation. Mark can help us help the UN deliver for people and planet.”
Currently a Senior Adviser with political risk consultants Eurasia Group, Lord Malloch-Brown has extensive experience with the UN, serving as Deputy Secretary-General as well as Chef de Cabinet under then-Secretary-General Kofi Annan in 2006. Before that, he spent six years as Administrator of the UN Development Programme, leading the UN’s development efforts globally. He also previously served as Minister of State in the UK Government’s Foreign Office and as a Vice President of the World Bank. As a private sector leader, he chaired the Business and Sustainable Development Commission, which worked to align business practices with the Sustainable Development Goals. He began his career as a journalist for The Economist.
Lord Malloch-Brown succeeds Gro Harlem Brundtland and Timothy Wirth, who previously served as Vice Chairs of the UN Foundation Board of Directors.
The UN Foundation Board of Directors comprises:
- Ted Turner (USA) – Founder and Chair of the Board, UN Foundation
- Mark Malloch-Brown (UK) – Co-Chair of the Board, UN Foundation; Senior Advisor, Eurasia Group
- Elizabeth Cousens (USA) – President & CEO, UN Foundation
- Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah (Jordan) – Chair, Jordan River Foundation
- Valerie Amos (UK) – Director, SOAS University of London
- Fábio Colletti Barbosa (Brazil) – Chairman of the Board, Endeavor Brazil
- Gro Harlem Brundtland (Norway) – Former Prime Minister of Norway; Director-General Emeritus, World Health Organization
- Kathy Calvin (USA) – Former President and CEO, UN Foundation
- Julio Frenk (Mexico) – President, University of Miami
- Frannie Léautier (Tanzania) – Executive Director of Asset Management & Special Advisor, Trade and Development Bank
- Narayana Murthy (India) – Founder and Chairman Emeritus, Infosys Limited
- Hans Vestberg (Sweden) – Chairman and CEO, Verizon Communications
- Timothy E. Wirth (USA) –Former U.S. Senator, Colorado
- Muhammad Yunus (Bangladesh) – Founder, Grameen Bank of Bangladesh, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
About the United Nations Foundation
The United Nations Foundation acts as a strategic partner to help the United Nations mobilize the ideas, people, and resources it needs to drive global progress and tackle urgent challenges. We focus on issues at the heart of the Sustainable Development Goals, build initiatives across sectors to solve problems at scale, and engage citizens who seek action. Founded in 1998 by entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner, the UN Foundation works with philanthropic, corporate, government, and individual partners. Learn more at: www.unfoundation.org.