This Pride Month, the United Nations Foundation has partnered with Gap Inc. to raise awareness and support for the United Nations’ Free & Equal campaign, which is dedicated to advancing equal rights and fair treatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex (LGBTI) people around the world. LGBTI people are often among the most persecuted, marginalized, or at risk for violence and discrimination. All over the world, LGBTI people are routinely subject to discrimination simply because of who they are; 70 countries continue to outlaw consensual same-sex relationships
Despite all this, change is happening. Over the last few years, more people and countries have joined the movement for equal rights, with growing support especially among young people.
During Pride Month, you can show your pride by using #30DaysOfPride to raise awareness and support for the UN’s work to secure recognition and respect for LGBTI people everywhere. As Eleanor Roosevelt said, human rights begin “in small places, close to home – so close and so small that they cannot be seen on any maps of the world. … Unless these rights have meaning there, they have little meaning anywhere.”
Here are nine more quotes to inspire you to continue the fight for equality.
- “I appeal to all governments and societies to promote the values of tolerance and respect for diversity, and to build a world where no one has to be afraid because of their sexual orientation and gender identity.” – UN Secretary-General António Guterres
- All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.” – Article I of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- “Human rights are universal, indivisible and interdependent. They are not reserved for the few — they apply to everyone, everywhere. It is essential to reaffirm this fundamental principle and join forces to make it a reality.” – Irina Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO
- “We declare that human rights are for all of us, all the time: whoever we are and wherever we are from; no matter our class, our opinions, our sexual orientation.” – Ban Ki-moon, former UN Secretary-General
- “I’m seeing changes in the community, [and] people now realize they’re not alone. …Now no one can ever say we [the LGBT community] don’t exist.” – Kasha Jacqueline Nabagesera, Co-Founder Freedom and Roam Uganda
- “I believe we can all come together, because if you take away the labels, you realize we’re far more alike than we are different.” – Ellen DeGeneres, TV host, comedian, and advocate
- “The Independent Expert is firmly committed to building bridges…premised on international human rights law, reflective of local wisdom, and resonant with the universal message of ‘diversity in humanity, humanity in diversity’” – Vitit Muntarhborn, UN Independent Expert on protection against violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity
- “We are made for goodness. We are made for love. We are made for friendliness. We are made for togetherness. We are made for all of the beautiful things that you and I know. We are made to tell the world that there are no outsiders. All are welcome: black, white, red, yellow, rich, poor, educated, not educated, male, female, gay, straight, all, all, all. We all belong to this family, this human family, God’s family.” – Desmond Tutu, Nobel Peace Prize winner
- To realize a world of equality and dignity for all, we will have to change laws and policies; we will also have to change hearts and minds. Every sector and every person can play a role, speaking out to remind the world that it should not be illegal to live your life as you are and to live your life with whomever you love.” – Rick Parnell, Chief Operating Officer of the UN Foundation