Expedia, Inc. (Nasdaq: EXPE) and the United Nations Foundation (UN Foundation) celebrated today the one-year anniversary of the World Heritage Alliance (WHA) by announcing the addition of nine new members and four new associate partners. The WHA is an industry-leading initiative that was jointly formed by Expedia® and the UN Foundation in 2005 to promote sustainable tourism and awareness of World Heritage sites and communities around the world.
• Implementing the World Heritage Alliance principles, a set of guidelines developed in consultation between the UN Foundation, Expedia, UNESCO World Heritage Centre and National Geographic that foster greater attention to social, cultural and environmental sustainability within their business.
• Participating in staff training programs by enrolling their staff in occasional in-person or online training courses organized by the WHA that educate about the key issues related to World Heritage and sustainable tourism.
• Educating customers about World Heritage by providing informational materials, exclusive packages to World Heritage destinations, volunteer opportunities with local communities, and the ability for customers to purchase goods and services that are rooted in local cultures and environments.
• Supporting community development around World Heritage sites by working with local communities to build and enhance sustainable tourism opportunities for travelers and to provide markets for locally produced sustainable goods and services.
• Engaging employees to support the local community through WHA volunteer programs that allow employees to work side-by-side with community-based initiatives.
• Supporting the United Nations in its efforts to encourage sustainable tourism and the protection of World Heritage sites through the UNESCO World Heritage Convention.